A wife, mother and teacher who's always up for learning something new and meeting new friends.

Monday 15 August 2011

My Radio Debut

 A couple of weeks ago, thanks to one of my very bestest friends, I appeared on a live radio show for the first time.

 Paul rang me at 11 am a couple of Wednesdays ago with the question 'What are you doing this afternoon?'  It was a lovely sunny day (for once) and I had just sat down in my garden with a pint of Vimto and a good book.  'Err, nothing really , why?'  I replied, wondering what he wanted.  'How would you like to be on a radio chat show this afternoon with me?' he asked.
 Now all my friends know me as chatty and talkative and they would've expected me to reply with a resounding 'Yes!' straight away.  But my talkativeness is my defense mechanism as I am actually very shy, nervous and unconfident and just tend to over compensate.   So I pondered Pauls question. 
 'Are you there? shouted Paul thinking I'd been cut off.  I paused further, then thought of that old saying 'Don't regret the things you have done, only regret the things you didn't do'. 

 I then weighed up my two options -

1. Sit in my garden for the afternoon, reading and drinking and thinking of what might have been.
2. Go on the radio show, after all, what's the worst that could happen?

'OK'. I'll do  it'. I said hesistantly, wondering what the hell I was getting myself into.
What was I getting myself into?  Well actually... a brilliant afternoon.


 Gaydio is based in Manchester near Chinatown.  On arrival we were warmly greated and offered seats in the bright, open plan office.
 We met Toby the shows host and were presented with news topics to discuss.  I panicked.  I'm not particularly up to date with news and like I said before, with my lack of confidence, I was worried  wouldn't have anything of interest to say.

Toby the Host

 Toby and Paul (who appears weekly on this show) assured me that there was nothing to worry about and that it was just like having a chat with friends.

 Then at 1pm we were on air.  The next two hours whizzed by and after initially being sacred to death I think I really got in to it.
 We discussed a variety of topics - Oldham Pride, wardrobe malfuntions and even vegan jelly sweets!








                                                 Me reading my topics sheet




Paul checking Facebook, Twitter and messages from listeners

           
 I hadn't realised just how much goes on in a radio show. News reports, entertainment news and the music of course.  With our 'chatty bits' in between, the time flew by and suddenly Toby was thanking us for coming on the show and it was time to go.
 I couldn't believe it.  I was just getting warmed up!
 I loved every second of it and I'm so glad I said yes.

 

Being asked to be on a radio show was like looking up at a giant water slide:
You're scared to death at the thought of going on it.
When you're on it it goes too fast.
When it's over, you want to do it all over again, straight away.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like great fun, well done for having the confidence to say yes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. I would love to hear from you and I will reply ASAP! xxx